Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Here we go again!

I have been so lucky with my military life...to a point (I'll get to that soon!) I have traveled all over the world and country! I have been lucky enough to live in England for 4 years and I was deployed to Qatar for 4ish months. Stateside we were stationed in South Carolina (Shaw AFB for those that were wondering) and Texas (Laughlin AFB).

They always say that your best base is your last base and your next one. I never believed that before! Being stationed in England for your first base is awesome! I didn't want to leave but low and behold my husband after being there for 6 years was ready to come back to the land of Walmart. (I had only been there 4 and could have stayed forever!) Well, that is when we got stationed at Shaw. We had a beautiful house close to base but far away from everyone there. (It's for sale if anyone is interested!) We were so ready to leave there after 4 years! The excitement was overwhelming until we hit Del Rio, Texas. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a small town girl. As a matter of fact Del Rio is huge compared to my hometown. Well, here is where the you don't know what you had until you're gone comes in! This place stinks! The nearest "real" town in 3 hours away people. Yes, 3 hours and there isn't anything between here and there really. We would have gone back to South Carolina in a heartbeat! (It's one of the reasons that I got out of the military after 10 years. We hoped that we would get orders faster! It's easier for the military to place 1 person than it is 2.)

Well, we have all the luck in the world. On my birthday (best present my husband could have got me!) we found out that we have orders to Alaska! Who'd of thought that me, the small town girl from upstate NY would see Alaska! We are so excited. And the good news is that for military reasons Alaska is considered an overseas tour. That means we are there for a 3 year tour. If we hate it we know that is all the time we have to do BUT if we love it we can try to extend. Especially since that will be towards the end of hubbys career!

So, this is the beginning (or beginning of the end since it's me blogging! LOL) of my ramblings of a Military Mom On The Move!

No comments: